Saturday 11 April 2015

USKMOUTH BUTTERFLY TRANSECT 9TH APRIL

Uskmouth Butterfly transect 9th April

Sheila carried out the transect on Thursday afternoon and recorded 37 butterflies of 8 species: 15 Peacock, 11 Comma, 5 Brimstone, 2 Red Admiral, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Green-veined White, 1 Large White and 1 Speckled Wood. 
I can't remember seeing so many over-wintered Peacocks  in the spring - I keep seeing groups of them everywhere on the reserve. There are also good numbers of Comma, but there are far fewer Small Tortoiseshell about.
Its great that so many Brimstone were about as we planted 5 Alder Buckthorn bushes around the reedbeds about 13 years ago. Although Brimstone bred the first year they never really seemed to establish themselves. The bushes are much bigger now which will hopefully help.
I'm surprised I haven't seen any Orange-tips yet this week. I'm sure it will be any day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.