Wednesday 10 August 2016

6th August
Wentwood 

Took a little trip to Wentwood over the weekend to take a step back from moth trapping to take a leisurely look for some butterflies.


Turned up common species like Speckled Wood, the 'whites' Green-veined, Large and Small, Small Skippers a few tatty Ringlets which were hanging on, plus Meadow Browns, Red Admirals and Painted Lady's.



I found to my surprise a couple of Silver-washed Fritillary's.
These were very 'flighty' and restless landing only briefly for a few seconds at a time, but I did manage to get a couple of pictures.





I also saw a few dragonflies of which I've included in this post. I have no idea what they are but appreciate their beauty and design none the less.












2 comments:

  1. Hi Nick - I'm no expert on dragonfly, but I think the first is Golden-ringed and the second Southern Hawker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard. They were quite large as dragonflies go.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.