Monday 16 October 2017

12th October

Abundant Argyropeza on Aspen


Along with Sam's quest to look for Poplar mines I've managed to come up a few more sites for the newly found Stigmella trimacullela in the county and two more sites for Phyllocnistis unipunctella.

Further investigations to the south around the Rogiet area have proved to be fruitful for a difficult to find micro Ectoedemia argyropeza. I've already found two other potential spots for Ectoedemia argyropeza which feeds on Aspen which comes under the Poplar family, but these sites have drawn a blank. It ties in with Sam's efforts at finding evidence of this moth which again have not been forthcoming.
This time though today I was finally rewarded highly for my efforts.


Its a bit difficult to spot exactly what tree you are looking at from a distance but I find you can gradually get to know the taller Poplar but Aspen is some what more difficult but can be mastered after a several attempts.
Aspen itself is a bit of an odd tree where one tree can support several others in the form of Ramets or suckers. These are formed from an potential extensive underground root system which can travel some distance from the parent tree. New trees can shoot up from this system eventually forming small groves with each tree of the same sex, male or female only.

There was such a small group of Aspen here, if fact two I believe although its possible they could have been connected. A awkward passage to get to them to check leaves was ultimately very rewarding especially the first batch where I readily collected 41 leaves (39 on show on the cloth photograph). There were 15 on the other section of trees but I'm sure there were plenty more.
It proves if conditions are right the moth can flourish left undisturbed. 



 

 

5 comments:

  1. Interesting Nick and the `green islands` really show up in your very useful `leaves photo`. I`ve been carefully looking for this moth mine on aspen in SE Carms, but without success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an impressive collection of mined leaves!

    I've seen mines of this species at the three sites I've checked this autumn - two in Glamorgan (Vale and Swansea) and one in Carms. I wonder if it's on the increase, or if it's just that we're all getting tuned into looking for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In contrast to George, I failed to find any argyropeza in a large stand of young Aspen I checked this morning near Monmouth, failed on 2 mature Aspen on the edge of the Hendre Woods on Sunday, found no mines on giant-leaved planted Aspen by the NRW St Mellons office mid week, and failed any on some Aspens in the Grosmont area last weekend. It's very patchy in VC35!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I was very shocked to find so many. Don't worry I replaced the leaves back to where I found them as I don't want to disturb what is happening here.
    It is very isolated and a real task finding them, often finding trees does result in a disappointment.
    Best of luck all in finding more sites, I shall continue to look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and I tried again today (in SE Carms), this time visiting an old stand of aspen in a wooded `cwm` - none. I had thought perhaps, that as I was previously looking at only planted stands, I ought to check older, native clones - but no luck!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.