Tuesday 24 October 2017

12th October

'What the hell was I doing'.

I hadn't been out for a trapping session for a while or so seemed, so I had made up my mind I was going no matter what this evening.
My original site of choice for that evening I hoped would be fine, but upon getting there I soon had to quickly forget about it because a stiff breeze was blowing making things near impossible. Quickly I packed up and made my way to what I hoped would be a more sheltered spot.
Got to Highmoor Hill and thought this was alright and set up. As I had assembled the kit and started settling in, the breeze here then started to pick up as if following me, occasionally gusting at times shortly afterwards.
A foolhardy idea and I thought... 'what the hell was I doing'.
Unsurprisingly the shortened night trip brought little reward as expected with 4 moths of which 3 I got hold of, literally in the keen breezes.

Viburnum Button

There was not much doubt in my mind about the star of the paltry three moths that I captured, a Acleris schalleriana I think it is.
I came across one last year in December and I remember Sam being equally as pleased with the find as I was.
It was reported as the 5th Vice County then, so maybe this might be the 6th in a new location away from the Wye Valley unless Sam has received other records in the meantime.
Would be interesting to know.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Nick. There was one additional 2016 record, by Ian Rabjohns, so your recent one is the 7th for the county.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.