Wednesday 18 October 2017

Juniper Carpet - New for VC35 on Friday 13th October.

Friday the 13th proved to be a lucky Moth Night for me in Blackwood, as I checked the trap at about 6:00AM I noticed what looked like an interesting Geometrid on the shed by the trap (first thoughts were - great my first Cypress Carpet). So I immediately potted the moth and popped in the fridge for further checking once the light had improved.
Well - when I checked the moth it definitely wasn't a Cypress Carpet, and the best match that I could find in the Waring Guide was Juniper Carpet, which is quite rare in South Wales. So having photographed the moth and emailed Martin Anthony, he confirmed that it was indeed a Juniper Carpet, and a first record for VC35!




1 comment:

  1. Well done Kevin your area has turned up a few new moths hasn't it! Down to the observer I say.
    Always have looked at this moth in my book and as I get both Cypress Pug and Cypress Carpet here (just the other week) I often cast an over the 'Carpet' just to make sure. Hope to find it in the future though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.