Wednesday 28 March 2018

10th March

Ravensnest Wood, Devauden

Small Brindled Beauty- Part 2


A visit to Ravensnest Wood this evening produced a good array of moths. The cloudy conditions at first gave way to clearing skies but at least it remained mild and fairly calm throughout the trap.
40 moths of 9 species arrived in the near 3 hours I was there with my first sighting of Yellow Horned  this year.
Yellow Horned

March Moth topped the list totalling 15 in number, but not far behind and remarkably so, was Small Brindled Beauty. I was taken aback by the 11 that came to the light and found it quite a shock that it was here in good numbers given very few have been found in the county.

One of the 11 Small Brindled Beauty that came to light this evening 

If I'm correct, I believe only 2 were found last year one from Sam Bosanquet at Dingestow and the other from myself at Chapel Hill, so a large find of this nature is very encouraging.
It covers another small 2km square for this macro moth and is within this large complex of wood in the Angiddy Valley.


2 comments:

  1. Thankyou for singlehandedly keeping the Blog going, Nick. I did a bit of trapping here at Dingestow in early March and caught most of the commoner early species, but nothing really worth blogging about. Your Small Brindled Beauties are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sam,
    To be honest I've enjoyed putting my exploits up here on the blog and I did not really expect too many people to be moth trapping yet especially out in the 'wild's' like I've been doing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.